Also, my husband pressed me to ask Thomas again about the position of the pieces. My husband said that the game-start arrangement of all the pieces on the first two rows was boring. So I asked Thomas and he agreed and gave me this opening, the "Ruy Lopez," aka "the Spanish." I agree that it looks much more interesting!
Oh, also, I didn't use Heat and Bond on the new pieces. I took a class a local shop, Pins and Needles, on applique and they have another product that is much better. I think they call it "Soft Fuse." It's just as easy to use and just as adherent, but it's is much lighter. It was a bit of a PIA to remove the black and white pieces, but it's done, and I am so happy I changed the bonding medium.