Moira's Quilt: Done!
Moira's quilt is finished. I'm very happy with how it turned out. Colors are not perfect—the blues recede so much and the oranges are so overpowering. But it's still pretty. And they are the colors she wanted.
I got the quilt back from the quilt shop that did the quilting last Tuesday. As soon as I got it back, I put the binding on. I referred to a good video by Just Get It Done Quilts. On earlier quilts, I used a wider binding because the fabrics on the top and bottom did not always go 100% to the edges. A wider binding gave more flexibility to make sure everything was covered. This time, I used 2.5-inch binding as this tutorial shows, which results in about a 1-inch border. Because you fold it in half so it's 1.25 inches wide, then you sew the open edge to the edge of the quilt, and then you fold it over and sew it down. I sewed the first seam by machine and then hand-stitched the second to the back of the quilt (I think I did this backwards on my first two quilts.) Bummer is that, even though I thought I had full coverage of the top quilt edge to edge, there were two small spots the binding did not cover on the front, argh, and I had to repair those. One I just hand-stitched over but the other looked crappy when I did that. So I sewed on a patch of blue. It is not perfect, sigh, but it looks okay, as if it were an old quilt that got repaired.
Suzanne at the quilt shop suggested a couple of flowery designs and I chose this one. I think it was a good choice.
Here it is in her camper! She's going to redo the color scheme on the inside to match the quilt!
Link to the post with quilt as a work in progress.
I am a wife and mother. I am retired: yay!