Style Arc Slip-on Suzie no. 1
Seems so easy. Seems so cute. Arrrggh. I made a muslin with a blue jersey bedsheet I got from Goodwill. I think it was the best version of this dress I made. After my muslin, I knew I had to make sure the front would not gape and not hang too low. So I added about an inch to the pattern crossover front. I also googled and researched "vilene," which is called for to stabilize the neckline, and I could not find it or useful information about it, so I decided to substitute 1/4" elastic. Finally, I went a little nuts, tucking the left side in a little bit extra (you can see it bunching at my waist in the photo on the far right). In the end it fits like a glove, which is to say too snugly for a grown woman, and becomes a little uncomfortable around my neck after a few hours of wearing. Otherwise, it feels like a T-shirt, which is no surprise since it is basically made out of a gray cotton jersey. I love the color and wish it was not so clingy and tight around the neck. I also think the panel construction across the belly is not the smartest design on the planet, since my parts in that area are not concave, and a roll line across those parts coming from the jersey curling on the underside is irritating. I think maybe Style Arc patterns, though so cute, may not be for my body style. I certainly had to shorten the dress by a lot, like 6 inches at least.
Leave a Reply.
I am a wife and mother. I am retired: yay!