I suppose in a sense this skirt is analogous. I am trying to learn to sew well. I wanted to make a beautiful, elegant, slightly showy skirt to help make the performance something special. I wanted to look the part of a soloist--but one befitting my station. In the end, I was just happy to get a wearable garment. I finished it--as per usual--very near curtain time. I didn't like how poofy it turned out, but there was no time to rectify the situation Perhaps I could pretend that the poof made it special.
It is made out of a wool suiting. It's a very nice fabric and was very easy to work with. I made the gathered version of this skirt. The long, less gathered version on this pattern envelope is hideous and I could not envision making that option. Plus, I like room in my skirt when I'm playing. Coverage and room to move. Ergo, gathered version.
I think that would have been fine, but then I decided to gather the lining, which was a polyester, I think; at any rate, it was a bit stiffer than say a china silk. It added too much bulk really at the waistline. Not so good.
I am wearing it with my silk jersey performance top. Blogged separately.